Dear Lethbridge Word on the Street attendees,
Many thanks for coming by on Saturday and for all those who signed up for HB Creativity’s e-bulletin and/or the creative writing workshops below. Congratulations to Rayn Perry who wins a copy of my novel, Hero.
October 22, The Story, (3 hours, live), 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm, casa, Lethbridge (2 spaces left). This is a relaxed workshop in a mutually supportive atmosphere. During brainstorming sessions and other exercises you will learn how to pitch a story, and how to sustain conflict and suspense. We will explore plot, character development, style, sentence structure, the use of present, past, and future tenses, point of view, use of third or first person, dialogue, and dramatic tension. Call 403 915 7685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 26 & December 3, Prepare to Publish, (2 live 3-hour sessions), 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm, casa, Lethbridge (3 places left). Through these sessions each participant will build a strategy for matching his or her work to a publisher and a marketplace. Participants will learn how to look for the right fit, how to entice a publisher with their blurb and biography, and how to make sure their manuscript is polished enough for submission.
Guided Online Writing Workshop Series is presently full but a limited number of spaces will open in mid-October 2016. Call 403 915 7685 or email email@example.com if you wish to register.
Announcing the fourth annual Instant Hook Writing Contest (2016)!
The Instant Hook Writing Contest is a fun (but useful) test to see how effectively you can lure unsuspecting readers from disinterest into engrossed attention.
There are so many different ways to grab a reader’s attention, so many “rules” which end up contradicting each other that I won’t waste space pontificating about what makes a great opening. I’ll leave that to you! There is no entry fee, and no prerequisites other than being over 18, and there is a cash prize ($300, Canadian) for the winner. Please read the regulations carefully. Good luck!
Deadline (postmark date): December 31, 2016
Prize: $300.00 (Canadian)
Entrants are encouraged to submit the first 300 words or less of an unpublished novel. As the competition title suggests, the goal is to create an opening that commands attention, and makes the reader wish for more. For the sake of this competition, though, there will be no more; the word limit will be strictly adhered to, so the aim is to create an opening so intriguing, so compelling that it will promise a wealth of ingenious, absorbing, beautifully-written prose to come on its heels.
Sound like fun? Good. The exercise will make those creative juices run and give you something to work with for many weeks, months, and years afterwards.
Here are the rules; please read carefully!
- The awards are open to anyone who is over 18 at time of entry.
- The submission must be sole-authored, in English, from the very beginning of a novel, and no more than 300 words.
- The novel opening may have been written for the competition or may be part of a manuscript already completed. But it cannot have been published, and cannot have been accepted by a publisher at time of entry.
- These awards are open to new or established, already-published, authors (it does not have to be a first novel).
- This is a blind-judged competition. HB Creativity must not have seen any part of this novel prior to entry; it must not be a work for which I personally have provided tutoring or editing services. I cannot absolutely guarantee I will not recognize a writing style, but I must not recognize the writing, the characters, or the plot.
- Please use 12 Times New Roman font and double space your entry.
- Send your entry by mail only (no emails please) to Paul Butler, HB Creativity, 8 – 121 Silkstone Road West, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, T1J 3Y6 (make sure you have “Paul Butler, HB Creativity” as well as the address) with a postmark date no later than December 31, 2016. Winners will be announced in March 2017.
- Please do not put your name on your entry! Enclose in a separate envelope your name and contact (email and phone), plus the title of your entry. This envelope will be opened after the winners have been decided. Along with your name and contact please indicate whether you wish to receive our bimonthly INK STAINS news bulletin.
- There will be a one time email to entrants to announce the competition winner. There will be no advertising of any kind on this email. If you do not wish to receive this email, please indicate this on your entry.
- Do not send your only copy. Copies without sae cannot be returned. If you do not want your entry returned, it will be shredded and recycled.
- There is no cost to enter.
- There is no residency or nationality requirement.
- Copyright remains with the author. We may ask for permission to publish an extract of the winning works on this website but this will not be done without the author’s express permission. Withholding permission will in no way invalidate the entry or disqualify it from winning a prize. By entering you merely give permission for me to use your name and the (provisional) title of the work.
- One winner will receive a cash prize of $300.00 (Canadian). Two runners-up will receive a free hour tutorial (depending on location) in-person or over Skype.
News from Alumni and Friends
Congratulations to Glenn Deir. His wickedly funny new novel The Money Shot is about to be published by Breakwater Books (St. John’s).
(Note: please forward alumni news to firstname.lastname@example.org).